- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On November 15, 2019
HDMI stands for the High Definition Multimedia Interface. It is used for interconnecting multiple devices. However, sometimes, the Dell HDMI port not working properly and as a result, you may face some troubles.
Most of the Dell laptop users have reported that while using the HDMI port, they do not receive any image and sound coming out from their devices. Once they face this problem, they are unable to use the HDMI port on their Dell laptops.
This problem mainly appears due to a faulty graphics card driver. However, the problem can be resolved easily through effective fixes discussed here.
What are the Causes for Dell HDMI Port Not Working?
Below are listed some of the common causes that are responsible for the HDMI port not working problem on Windows 10 system.
- Corrupted Graphics card driver.
- Hardware problems.
- HDMI cable connection problems.
- Incorrect configure the System’s Display Settings.
- Older version of the Operating System.
- Corrupted or missing registry files.
- Temporary files and folders
How To Fix Dell HDMI Port Not Working Problem?
Here, we have tried to find out a certain number of fixes through which you can quickly resolve this problem on the Dell laptop. Let’s take a look below:
Fix 1 – Check the HDMI Cable Connections
When you find that the HDMI port does not work properly, then you can simply disconnect the power cable and connect it again. Follow these steps:
- At first, unplug all the HDMI cables from the device.
- Wait for 15 minutes and then plug in all the HDMI cables to the device.
- After doing this, switch on the Dell laptop and check to see if it works properly or not.
Fix 2 – Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooter is an inbuilt tool for Windows. It will search for the problems and fix them automatically. If you do not know how to do that, then follow these steps:
- Click on the Start button and select the Settings.
- From the Settings window, double-click on the Update & Security section.
- In the Update & Security window, select the Troubleshoot tab on the left panel.
- On the Troubleshoot tab, scroll down the page and locate the Hardware and Devices section, select it. After that, click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- During the troubleshooting process, the Windows troubleshooter tool will find the HDMI port problems and solve this issue automatically.
- Once the process is done, restart the Dell laptop and then check if the problem is solved or not.
Fix 3 – Update the Graphics Card Driver
An outdated version of the Graphics card driver can result in the Dell HDMI port not working on Windows 10. So, in order to eliminate this issue, you need to keep the driver up to date. To update the driver, follow these directions hereunder:
- Press the Windows Home button and choose the Device Manager.
- When the Device Manager window opens, go to the left panel and select the Display adapters to expand it.
- After that, right-click on the Graphics Card driver and select the Update software driver option.
- Once the update process is complete, reboot your Dell laptop and then check if the HDMI port works correctly without any problem.
Fix 4 – Install the Latest Version of the Operating System
If the Operating System is not compatible with the Graphics card driver, then you can come across this problem on Dell laptop. So, you need to install the latest version of the Operating System. The following steps will help you to do that:
- Press the Windows Home key and I button together to launch the Settings window.
- From the Settings window, go to the Update & Security section.
- Select the Update tab and click on the Check for updates button to find for the available updates.
- If the update is available, then you will get an option Update, click on it to begin the update process.
- After finishing the update process, the Dell laptop will automatically restart.
Fix 5 – Configure the Dell Laptop Display Settings
Sometimes, the HDMI port problem might appear if there are various monitors are connected to the Dell laptop. This problem comes up due to the incorrect display settings. So, we suggest you check the settings on the Dell laptop and ensure that you use the right display settings.
Follow these directions to configure:
- Press the Windows button and P key together to open the Display Settings.
- On the Display Settings, a list of display modes will occur on the screen.
- PC Screen only – By using the one monitor.
- Duplicate – Both the monitors will show similar content.
- Extend – You can extend the desktop by utilizing both monitors.
- Second Screen only – By using the second monitor.
- Choose any one option which is best for your laptop. If the display settings are right, then you will be able to see the pictures on the screen.
Fix 6 – Uninstall the Graphics Card Driver and Install it Again
If the Graphics card driver is corrupted or faulty, then the HDMI port may fail to work properly. So, you need to remove the Graphics card driver and install it properly. Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Go to the Device Manager and select the Display Adapters section.
- Locate the Graphics card driver and right-click on it. After that, click on the Uninstall button from that list.
- After uninstalling this driver, restart the Dell laptop and then reinstall it.
- To install it, you need to open the Device Manager and click on the Scan for hardware changes icon.
- Now the system will find the driver and install it automatically.
- Once the installation process is done, reboot the laptop and check if the issue still persists or not.
Fix 7 – Remove the Temporary Files and Folders
Sometimes, if you do not remove the temporary files and folders from time to time, then you can see the HDMI port not working issue on the Dell laptop. So, you must remove them.
- Press the Start button and R key to launch the Run box.
- Type %temp% and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- On the Temporary folder, select all the folders and delete them.
Fix 8 – Run System File Checker Scan
Running the System File Checker scan can easily find the corrupted registry files and repair them quickly. To know more about it, follow these directions:
- Right-click on the Windows button and select the Command Prompt(Admin).
- Type sfc/scannow in the Command Prompt window and then press the Enter button.
- Once the scanning process is complete, restart the laptop.
We hope these are the eight fixes that we have shared in the above section to fix the HDMI port not working issue on the Dell laptop. Read this article carefully and perform these steps one-by-one on your Dell laptop to solve this issue.