- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On November 27, 2019
Asus is one of the most popular manufacturers for products ranging from PCs, laptops, graphics cards to motherboard. Like all electronic gadgets, Asus products also have certain complications.
Nowadays, many users are complaining that their Asus keyboard not showing the backlight at all. But, it is not a major issue and you can overcome the situation completely. This problem can arise when you are using an obsolete version of keyboard drivers.
In this article, we are going to mention some of the incredible workarounds to get rid of the Asus keyboard backlight not working error permanently. Therefore, go through this entire post and mitigate the error at the earliest.
Reasons Why Asus Keyboard Backlight Not Working in Windows 10
Before discussing the solutions, let’s discuss some of the annoying factors responsible for the “Asus backlight not working” error. After knowing the exact cause, you can easily deal with the Asus keyboard error. Therefore, take a look below to identify the fundamental causes behind this error.
- If the newest drivers are not installed for your keyboard, you can’t access all its features including the backlight.
- At times, the manufacture’s hardware doesn’t sync with the OS, which results in Asus keyboard backlight not working.
- Moreover, you can also encounter this situation if your Asus device is in the error state.
- Any misconfiguration in the setup process can also influence the keyboard error on Asus devices.
How to Deal with Asus Keyboard Backlight Not Working Error?
If you are confronting the problem due to backlight issues, this section will cover “how to fix Asus laptop keyboard”. Here, you will find the best possible hacks to troubleshoot the error, But, implement the methods in the same sequence as instructed to resolve it completely.
Procedure 1: Conduct Power Cycling of your Device
Power Cycling is an action that shuts down the device and also reduces the static charge. Moreover, it modifies the temporary configurations and forces the device to reinitialize each of them.
So, before proceeding with any critical procedure, we suggest you execute the power cycling of your device. To do so, follow the under-mentioned instructions.
- Firstly, turn off your Asus device and disconnect the power cable.
- After that, remove the battery from its case and press the Power button for about 30 seconds.
- Now, wait for a while and connect the power cable to the electrical outlet. Then, turn on your device to verify whether the keyboard backlight is working or not.
Most users claim that after power cycling, the Asus keyboard backlight not working issue has been resolved.
Process 2: Launch Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
In this procedure, we suggest you run the “Hardware and Devices troubleshooter”. We hope, after running this built-in tool, you will be able to resolve the Asus laptop keyboard backlight not working Windows 10 error.
To apply this solution, follow the underlying dedicated steps.
Step 1: Press the combination of the Windows logo + R key. It will invoke the Run dialog window. In the dialog box, write “control” and hit the Enter key. Now, you will find the Control Panel window at the top of the search result.
Step 2: Inside the Control Panel window, tap on the “View By” option and set it to the “Large Icon”. Thereafter, choose the “Troubleshooting” option from the same window and hit the “View all” button. It is to get all the available troubleshooting options on Windows.
Step 3: Try to locate the “Hardware and Devices” from the list and hit the ‘Next’ button to proceed further.
Windows will scan your entire device and also detect the internal errors associated with the Asus keyboard not working issue. Once the process is over, reboot your device to let the new changes take effect.
Process 3: Try to Execute hcontrol.exe
If the above two fixes fail to give a satisfactory result, then try to execute the “hcontrol.exe” application. For this purpose, press the Windows logo key along with the E tab. Afterward, navigate to the following link “C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey”.
From the Program Files on your device, look for ‘hcontrol.exe’. When you locate the file, right- tap on it to execute it.
Once the process gets completed, reboot your device to apply the recent modifications.
Process 4: Disable Filter Keys
“Filter Keys” is a feature designed to avoid repeated keystrokes. But, sometimes it causes various laptop issues including the backlight error.
So, if the “Filter Keys” is enabled by default on your device, we suggest you turn it off. Here are the steps that should be followed to perform this instruction.
- Firstly, open the Control Panel window by following the above steps. Now, invoke the “Ease of Access Center”, which is present inside the Control Panel.
- Next, scroll down the list and try to locate the “Make the keyboard easier to use” option.
- Now, look for the “Filter Keys” option from the list of available options.
- Once you find it, ensure the “Turn on Filter Keys” option is not selected.
- Lastly, hit the “Apply” button as well as the ‘OK’ button to save the new changes.
Process 5: Update Keyboard Drivers
One of the significant reasons behind the “Asus keyboard backlight not working” issue is the use of outdated or corrupted keyboard drivers. So, the best strategy to resolve the Asus keyboard error is by updating the keyboard drivers to their newest version.
To update the keyboard drivers, go through the underlying dedicated steps.
First and foremost, initiate the Run dialog window and write “devmgmt.msc” into the box. Hit the Enter key to execute the command. After executing the command, the “Device Manager” window automatically invokes. Here, try to find out the corrupted or outdated keyboard driver.
Once you find the drivers, right-tap on them and press the “Update Driver” button from the appeared menu. Now, a separate screen will pop up with two choices for installing/updating the drivers. So, choose the option that says “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
Once clicked, wait until the scanning process gets over successfully. To successfully complete the installation process, execute the remaining on-screen instructions.
Procedure 6: Reinstall Keyboard Driver
After updating the keyboard drivers, if the error still persists, we strongly recommend uninstalling the driver and then install it again.
So, carry out these instructions to reinstall the keyboard drivers.
- Primarily, initiate the “Device Manager” window by following the above instructions.
- Next, go to the “Keyboards” category that is present under the Device Manager.
- Now, right-tap on the Asus keyboard you want to repair.
- Thereafter, choose the “Uninstall” option from the appeared menu
- After removing the keyboard drivers, hit the Start icon to choose the “Restart” button.
- Let the device reboot, after which Windows will automatically reinstall the keyboard drivers.
Hopefully, the tips and tricks mentioned in this post will help you to troubleshoot the Asus keyboard backlight not working error. In case, the embedded hardware for the keyboard segment is causing this issue, only a technician can resolve it.