- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On November 29, 2019
Asus touchpad fails to work primarily due to an outdated driver or for the missing drivers. Often updating the Windows OS also triggers certain problems within the drivers. You might note that the touchpad is not working even after restarting the computer.
Further, you may note that the touchpad not showing up in the Device Manager. You might also uninstall the previous drivers but Windows fail to update and reinstall them back again. These are nothing but minor glitches and can be fixed with ease.
So, if you note that Asus touchpad not working after Windows 10 update, then simply follow this guide. Here, we have mentioned the most effective methods to get rid of the issue.
5 Fixes for Asus Touchpad not Working after Windows 10 Update
These 5 fixes will easily help you to remove the glitches permanently. So, perform the below-stated methods carefully to fix the issue.
Fix 1: Enable the Touchpad
If the touchpad is disabled from the Settings menu then it will not work. It is a general misconfiguration. Now, to enable the device Asus touchpad, you have to do the following steps:
- First, you have to press the Windows and I key together to open the Windows settings.
- Next, you have to click on Devices. Place a click on “Touchpad”.
- Now from there, go to the Additional settings option. Check that, if the “Enable Touchpad” option is checked. Hit the Apply button and then the “OK” button.
Restart the device and check if touchpad not showing up in Device Manager. Then, in this case, you have to update the touchpad driver.
Fix 2: Update the Asus Touchpad Driver
You can get the issue if there is any old or incorrect touchpad driver installed on the Asus laptop. You can update the driver using the Driver Manager and for that, you have to know how to update touchpad driver Asus.
- First, you have to open the Device Manager by writing “Device Manager” in the Start Search box.
- Now, in the Device Manager window, try to find the “Touchpad device”.
- You will find this device category under the “Mice or other pointing devices” section.
- Next, right-click on the device name and choose the “Update the Software” issue from the drop-down menu.
Now, you have to tap on the “Search Automatically for updated driver software” option. This option will help you to install the new driver automatically. If the issue still persists, then you need to seek help from the in-built tools of Windows OS.
Fix 3: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
You can fix the issue by just running the troubleshooters in the device. To perform troubleshooting in Windows 10 system, you have to do the following steps:
- First, open the Settings app by going to the Start search button. You can search for the Settings in the Start search box.
- From the Settings, you have to open the “Update & Security” option. Next, search for the Troubleshoot option in that section.
- Now in the troubleshoot window, click on the “Hardware and devices” option. Then, follow the instructions that are given on the screen.
If still the touchpad not working Windows 10 Asus you have to uninstall and download the touchpad drivers.
Fix 4: Uninstall and Download Latest Touchpad Drivers
You have to uninstall the touchpad driver that is currently linked with the Asus laptop and then install the latest version of Asus touchpad on the laptop.
- First, you have to write “Control Panel” in the Start search box.
- Hit the “Enter” button next.
- In the Control Panel Window, you have to go to the “Programs and Features” section.
- Now, search for the ATK Package that you have installed it on the Asus laptop.
- Right-click on the ATK Package and select the Uninstall option. Now, you have to follow the instructions that will come on the screen.
After uninstalling the Asus touchpad driver, you have to download it again.
How to Download the Asus Touchpad?
After uninstalling the touchpad, you have to download it again. In order to download the Asus Touchpad driver, you have to do the following steps:
- First, go to the official website of Asus and click on “Support”.
- Often, you might need to click on the Service option first and then go to the Support option.
- Now, you have to Enter the model name of the Asus laptop in the search box.
- You have to choose the model name of the laptop from the searched results. Click on the “drivers and tools” next.
- Select the operating system that you are currently using and select the ATK package from the list that will appear on the screen.
- Now, you have to choose the latest version of the touchpad driver and click on the Download option as soon as you will find the Global button.
When you are done with downloading the latest version of the Asus touchpad version you will get the downloaded file in the Downloads folder. Install it to get the latest touchpad drivers.
Fix 5: Roll Back the Changes in Device Manager
The “Roll Back Driver” feature helps to revert the changes to its previous version of the driver on the device. To go back to the previous version of the touchpad driver you have to follow these steps:
- First, click on the Start button. Now, you have to write “Run” in the Start search box and hit the Enter button.
- This will help you to get to the Run dialog box. In the Run dialog box, you have to write “devmgmt.msc” and then click on the “OK” button. This will open the Device Manager window.
- In the Device Manager window, you have to search for the touchpad driver.
- You will find this under the “Mice and other pointing devices” section. Now, click on this section to see the list of the touchpad and mouse drivers.
- Now, right-click on the adapter that is installed in the device. Choose the Properties option from the drop-down menu. This will open the Touchpad Properties Window.
- Go to the Driver sections and choose the “Roll Back Driver” option next. Follow the instructions that will appear on the screen and finally check if the touchpad driver is working properly.
You might not know this, but if you accidentally press the F9 key, you can turn off the Touchpad in some of the models of Asus. In that case, you can try to press the F9 key.
Moreover, in this article, we have discussed the most proficient ways to deal with the issue. We hope you find this article worth reading to recover from the touchpad driver issue on the Asus laptop.