- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On January 24, 2020
When you try to install a new application, you might come across this error 0x80070057 as this is related to the storage issues. While running a windows update, the issue might pop up on the screen suddenly. Another reason is the occurrence of the blue screen of death.
The error is displayed in a white pop-out window. An old hard drive is another leading factor of this error. However, you have to resolve the error by implementing some effective troubleshooting tricks.
Some other possible factors of this error include, incorrect date and time, viruses and malware attacks. Now, without delay, perform these simple steps to get rid of the error.
Fix the Windows Update Error 0x80070057 with Easy Methods:
Discussed below are some of the few simple solutions that you can apply on your own to fix the error code 0x80070057.
Solution 1: Rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder
Sometimes you face Windows update error 0x80070057 while updating the windows. Therefore, renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder can be an effective fix. To do that,
- First, open the Run Box and to do so press the Windows key and R at the same time on the keyboard.
- After that, go to the search box to enter %systemroot%” and then press the Enter button.
- After right-clicking on the SoftwareDistribution make sure to rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old.
- Sometimes, you might need an administrative permission. Then click on the Continue option.
- Navigate to the search box to enter services and click on the Services tab.
- Check whether the Windows Update is stated or not.
- After the change restarts your PC and checks whether the error still persists or not.
Solution 2: Make Sure that the Date and Time are Set Correctly
By correcting the date and time, you can fix this error. Go to the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and select the time or date to check the date and time.
Sometimes, you might find that the date and time are out of sync. Then, you need to select the corresponding result to make the necessary changes.
Solution 3: Run the Chkdsk Command
Sometimes, the storage hardware that you are running can have some corrupted data. It can even have defective hardware or a damaged partition that causes this error. Therefore, with the help of the Windows Check Disk or the Chkdsk tool, you can easily locate and fix them effortlessly.
Solution 4: Change the Decimal Symbol Setting
If the parameter is incorrect then, you might encounter this error. Changing the decimal symbol setting is the best way in this case. Therefore, make sure that the symbol is set to “_”(dot).
- Navigate to the Control Panel (View by Category) and then click on the “Clock, Language, and Region”. In case you are a Windows 10 user then, click on the “Clock and Region” option.
- Thereafter, click on the “Region and Language” and for Windows 10, click on the Region.
- Head over the Formats to click on the Additional Settings.
- After going to the Decimal symbol field, enter . (dot) and then make sure to click on the OK two times.
- After the charge, restart your PC and then check whether the error still persists or not.
There is an alternative way to fix the incorrect parameter. To fix it, add a Registry Key Value by performing the following steps.
- Initially, click on the Start button.
- Head over the search box to type Regedit and then hit the Enter button.
- Now, the following command needs to enter.
- Click on the blank space and then from the New option, choose DWORD Value.
- Next, make sure to change the name to CopyFileBufferedSynchronouslo.
- After double-clicking, you will be able to change the Value data to 1.
- Then, save the changes that you made and for that press the OK option.
- Now, exit from the Registry and then restart the PC to check whether the error pops up again or not.
Solution 5: Disable the Firewall and the Antivirus Software
When you try to install Microsoft Office, you can also come across error code 0x80070057. Then, make sure to disable the firewall and the antivirus software to fix this issue. Here are the steps that you need to follow to turn the Firewall off.
- Go to the Control Panel and click on the “System and Security”.
- Next, head over the Windows Firewall and select the “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” option.
- Until the error gets fixed, you need to select the “Turn off Windows Firewall” option temporarily.
- Now, the Office Click-to-run application needs to be repaired. For that, right-click on the Start button and from the Programs click on the “Uninstall a Program”.
- Next, select the Microsoft Office 365 and then click on the Change option.
- In the end, reboot your PC to try the installation procedure again.
Solution 6: Clear Space on Your Device
Sometimes, your system might be full and that can lead to this issue. To free from this error, you need to remove some of the hard drive space. To check the capacity of your main computer, go to My Computer option.
If you find a little space left, then make sure to remove some things from the drive you use. Hence, you can consider to clear out various things such as a recycle bin, any temporary folder, and your downloaded folders.
Solution 7: Run the Anti-Malware Scans
Viruses and malware can be the reason behind this error. To scan your computer, you need to run an anti-malware solution. For the more comprehensive check, make sure to run it in the safe mode.
Solution 8: Run the DISM
When you try to update your Windows device, you might come across this error. With the help of the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, you can fix this error easily. In order to run the DISM, make sure to launch the Command Prompt as an administrator. Now enter the following command which is “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and then hit the Enter button. After downloading the necessary files type “sfc /scannow” and then hit the Enter button. Now, try to run the update again.
Solution 9: System Reset
Sometimes system restore might not help you to fix this issue. Then, do a factory reset on your PC to fix this error. You can find various built-in tools. In case you want your system to be back-up then follow the steps properly. Make sure that you are running in now time.
Hopefully, after applying these instructions properly, you will be able to fix error 0x80070057 without any hassle.