- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On November 15, 2019
Creating Backup is a significant strategy to keep all your data secured from issues like viruses, malware, software issues, and hardware failures.
Thus, if you own a Dell laptop and by default looking for a backup guide, then go through this detailed and comprehensive guide to know how you can successfully backup Dell laptop without much difficulty.
How to BackUp Dell Laptop?
If you want a full backup for your Dell laptop successfully then make sure to follow each and every step provided below.
Dell Laptop Automatic Backup on Windows 10
First and foremost we will be discussing the steps to configure automatic backups on your Dell Laptop (Windows 10). Follow the given below steps to do it.
- Go to Start and click on Control Panel.
- Select the “System and Security” option and then click on the “Backup and Restore” option.
- Once the “Backup” segment appears on your screen, click on “Set up backup” and then choose the removable drive so that you can store the backup.
- Click on Next and then select “Let me Choose” within the “What do you want to backup?” section. Now, click on Next again.
- In the Data files section, make sure to check all the required items. Also, within the Computer segment, check on Local Disk (C:). You are most likely to comprehend multiple drivers (if any) on the list as well.
- Tick mark on “Include a system of drives: System Reserved, (C:)”. Click on Next and then “Change schedule”.
- Also, checkmark the “Run backup on a schedule” option and provide the details like frequency, date, and time to backup your system.
- Click on Ok and then ‘Save settings and exit” buttons.
While the initial backup start, the incremental backup will occur in the given schedule.
Managing Backup Settings and Changing Schedule on Windows 10
To keep your system secured from conditions like insufficient storage, it is better to manage the backup settings on your Dell Laptop (Windows 10). Here are the steps you need to follow to free up space on the backup drive.
- Firstly, select the “System and Security” option from the Control Panel.
- Click on “Backup and Restore” and select the “Manage Space” option from the Backup segment.
- Select the “View backups” option present within the “Data file backup” segment.
- Choose the oldest backup and then click on Delete. If you want to delete any additional backups, repeat the process again.
- Click on Close and select the “Change settings” option from the “System Image” section.
- Choose “Keep only the latest system image and minimize space used by backup” option. Click on Ok and then Close.
This will provide added space to the external drives so that you can undergo backups in the future as well. However, if you want to change the schedule, it is recommended to follow the steps provided below.
- Firstly, open Control Panel and then go to “System and Security”.
- Click on the “Backup and Restore” option. Following that, click on Change settings present within the schedule section.
- Follow the on screen directions appearing on your screen unless the “Review your backup settings” window appears.
- Click on the “Change Schedule” to provide a new backup schedule.
- Lastly, click on Ok and “Save settings and exit” option.
Creating a Restore Media
Insert a blank disc inside your disc drive (if any) and follow the steps cited below.
- Go to Start and then click on Control Panel.
- Click on “System and Security” and then “Backup and Restore”.
- Select “Create a system repair disc” situated in the left pane and click on the “Create disc” option.
Restore Data from a Backup on Dell Laptop (Windows 10)
To restore your files or system, follow the steps exactly as provided in this section.
Use Full Backup to Restore Files
- Go to Start and click on Control Panel
- Now click on “System and Security” and then “Backup and Restore”
- Within the Restore section, select the “Restore my files” option and then click on “Browse for files”.
- Choose the files for restoration and then click on “Add files”.
- Now, select the “Browse for folders” option and then select the folders for the restoration process. You can use the search option to know the file location.
- Click on Next and then go to “In the following location”. Tap the cursor on Browse and then choose the Restore location. Click on Ok.
- Lastly, click on Restore and then Finish.
This process will help you to access files and folders from a specified location (as provided in the recovery process).
Full Backup for the System Restoration
To perform this method, firstly connect a bootable media to the system and follow the steps exactly as mentioned below.
- Start the PC with a bootable media. To do so, you need to change the boot order within BIOS or UEFI firmware on your device. Press any of the following keys from F1, F2, F3, F10, F12 or delete key once the device starts. Although, it is recommended to follow the manufacturer’s support website for precise instructions. This is because the process may be different for different computer models.
- Click on the Next option present within the Windows setup section.
- Select the Repair your computer option situated in the lower part of the screen and then click on Troubleshoot.
- Now, click on System Image Recovery and make sure to choose Windows 10 as the target.
- Select “Use the latest available system image” and then click on Next.
- For a full backup or Hard drive replacement, click on Format and Repartition disk. However, if you want to save some data and have multiple drives, click on Exclude disk.
- Now, click on Next and Finish. Lastly, click on Yes.
This process will launch the system recovery process and restore everything since the last backup.
Steps to Backup Dell Laptop to External Hard Drive:
Here are the steps you need to follow so that you can perform a backup on your Dell laptop to External Hard Drive.
- First of all, connect any external hard drive with your Dell laptop. Now search for “Backup and Restore” in the search box (go to Start for search bar) and click on results that appear.
- Select the “Set up Backup” option and once a window appears on your screen, choose the external drive. Click on Next.
- Click on “Let Windows Choose” when asked for what to include within your backup. Tap the cursor on Next.
- A new window will appear which will set Windows timing to 7:00 pm for a backup run. If you are ok with the timing, then click on “Save Settings and Run Backup” to start a backup.
However, be cautious and do not turn off your system until the backup gets completed. We hope that this guide was informative enough for you to perform a backup for your Dell laptop.